So armed with plans for a console table from Ana White, a friends Kreg Jig, and lumber, I dove in. Here are most of the pieces for the table, all cut up by the lumber store employees:
I changed the length of the original design to fit behind our couch. Here is a picture of one of the frames in progress. At first I was having a hard time getting the pocket holes centered, but eventually I figured out how to be consistent.
And here is the table all put together, awaiting a good sanding. I didn't add the x-braces. I tried but couldn't cut them to fit just right.
To finish the table I started by staining the top. I used Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner. Then over that I used Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polyurethane in 1 Step in Honey color with Satin finish. I did three coats.
Then I primed the base of the table with Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer for all Surfaces. The paint I used to coat the primer was Behr Premium Plus ULTRA Stain-Blocking Paint & Primer in One, Interior Satin Enamel. I had it tinted to Crisp Linen White.
After the paint dried I went over the base with more of the Honey Stain, brushing it on and wiping it off almost immediately after each segment was coated. This gave some depth and weathering to the look and gave it a richer tone. Compare the picture above and below, though it's not as easy to see in photos.
And here it is behind our sofa, waiting for some decor. It may have been crazy as a very first woodworking project but I do crazy well the majority of the time. I definitely made some errors in building and finishing but because of that I learned a lot. I think my next project will go much smoother.