Black Swallowtail Caterpillar Photographs

, ,
We've been having some great growing success in our Austin garden since we moved here. We've enjoyed salad greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, beets, strawberries, spinach, kale and loads of herbs. Right now we're working on green beans, green peas and carrots as well. I love all of the amazing insects that having a flourishing garden brings, even though that means they're there to munch on everything. Just seeing wildlife of almost any variety brings a smile to my face. 



I found this big beautiful black swallowtail caterpillar hanging out on our parsley today. So I decided to bring him inside and place him in our butterfly habitat. He has been devouring parsley all day and the kids are fascinated watching him munch. 





Take a look at those "claws". I have no idea what they are really called but they look sharp. Also, amazing!


This guy is just so pretty. It's fascinating watching him move around, lift his head off the branch in search of more food. He looks ready to form a chrysalis any day. I'm excited to take some pictures of that as well.